Eric Swanson is speaking on cities this morning. Drawing from Kevin Lynch’s Image of the City, he avers that we should understand contours of our cities in order to renew it. Five areas to fill in.
- Paths – streets, walkways, transport
- Edges – boundaries that shape the city landscape
- Districts – neighborhoods
- Nodes – gathering points in the city
- Landmarks – clearly marked areas
Do you know your city? Do you know how to engage the nodes and districts in order to renew it. Or are we haphazzardly on mission? How can we make a sustained social and cultural impact in our cities?
Check out Kevin Cawley’s talk right now for more nuts and bolts on this topic.